More Reviews
REVIEWS Kinect Sports Rivals Review
It's been far too long since Microsoft's Xbox consoles had a Kinect-only title. Is the wait worth it?

Trials Fusion Review
They probably should have called it "Trials: Prepare to Crash Edition."
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sniper Elite 3 Preview
Sending bullets through the hate.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES LEGO The Hobbit
Release date: Out Now

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

Trials Fusion

Bound by Flame
Release date: 05/09/14

LATEST FEATURES Ouya's Best Games Coming to the Platform
The Kickstarter console is slowly establishing itself with a couple of creative gems on the way.

Tips for The Elder Scrolls Online: The Vestige's Guide
Just a handful of ways to keep yourself from dying.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP danielrbischoff
Peace in the Era of Call of Duty
By danielrbischoff
Posted on 04/15/14
In a world dominated by violent media, Americans are no more eager to go to war than they were in the 1980s or the 1960s or the 1940s. Hasn't it always been someone else's problem? The overwhelming majority would rather go on thinking it had nothing to do with them and there...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C_nate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Reply with quote

Anyone else play this yet? It came out in Jan, I picked it up in Feb, but only recently have I been able to put some hours into the game. Not that far in yet, Main character is just under level 25 so far.

Anyway, I was having some mixed feelings about the game. On one hand it is a classic throwback type of jrpg which I love, and the artwork and story are done by the same people who did Ponyo and several other really good animated films which is also pretty amazing.

But...On the other hand, I am kind of let down by the gameplay. It is basically a Dragonquest game dressed up and presented a little differently, but pretty much all of the same elements are there, right down to the alchemy pot. Don't get me wrong, I am also a fan of the Dragonquest series as well, but if I wanted to play that game, well, I would have played that game. You know what I mean? I thought this game was going to be something different that what it actually wound up being. Then they throw the pokemon aspect in there and have you running around trying to collect pets which you then in turn use them to fight for you. Which is just...ehhh.

Anyone know if the game picks up in the later levels or is it just more of the same all the way through? Cause right now I'm am kind of slogging through it just to see what happens next because I actually am enjoying the story it is telling.
Affen
Freedom Runner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Reply with quote

C_nate wrote:
Cause right now I'm am kind of slogging through it just to see what happens next because I actually am enjoying the story it is telling.

Isn't this the deal with every JRPG? Razz

I'm not sure where you're at in the game atm, but I felt it became great after you got the boat. I expected classic JRPG gameplay from the game so didn't felt let down by it and you can make the fights interesting by changing between your partners and familiars even if it wouldn't be necessary. You know just to spice it up.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to play it but I know I don't have the time for it, so I haven't touched it yet. It just looks so beautiful.
CloacalKiss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such an amazing game. Haven't touched it in a while as I got busy with other things. I've sunk almost 40 hours into it. Love the art style SO MUCH.

Btw, this needs to be in Sony forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
C_nate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Reply with quote

Affen wrote:
C_nate wrote:
Cause right now I'm am kind of slogging through it just to see what happens next because I actually am enjoying the story it is telling.

Isn't this the deal with every JRPG? Razz

I'm not sure where you're at in the game atm, but I felt it became great after you got the boat. I expected classic JRPG gameplay from the game so didn't felt let down by it and you can make the fights interesting by changing between your partners and familiars even if it wouldn't be necessary. You know just to spice it up.

Pretty much. Though there are some exceptions like FF13&13-2 where they had some of the most inane, headache inducing stories and plots I've ever suffered through but I actually enjoyed the combat system they had in place.

I'm at the point where I'm just about to get the boat, just finishing up a few side missions first.

You pointed out one of the problems I have with the combat. You really don't need to switch out from your default pet at all. You can, to make a couple of fights easier, but it isn't needed at all. So you have this game with hundreds of pets to collect and I'll probably never even use 95% of them. I think it would have been more fun for them to have made it where you had to pay attention to what you are fighting and pick your pets to match up accordingly, but as it is now, you can just spam the basic attack button on your default pet and almost never have to do anything differently.

It is a beautiful game, don't get me wrong. I love pretty much every other aspect of it. It just failed on the combat part to me because it is just dragonquest+pokemon minus the depth of either one.
Affen
Freedom Runner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Reply with quote

C_nate wrote:
you can just spam the basic attack button on your default pet and almost never have to do anything differently.

Depending how much you level your team it will be like that with the regular enemies till the end. Bosses will get more challenging and fun fights. I was so screwed when I suddenly had to actually use defend.

I really liked the story and entering a new town was always so exciting. It was a great adventure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Sony All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: