It’s hard to enjoy the new survival game Valheim if it keeps crashing and freezing. Whether it’s during an epic boss battle or during some peaceful sailing, crashing to the desktop or freezing is never a good experience. Here’s how to stop Valheim crashing and freezing on PC.
How to stop Valheim crashing and freezing
To stop Valheim crashing and freezing on PC, players should do the following:
- Ensure that the latest Nvidia or AMD graphics card driver is installed.
- Keeping graphics cards up to date is always a good idea. They often contain the latest fixes and optimizations for stability.
- Update Windows 10 to the latest version.
- To make sure that Windows isn’t causing problems, click “Check for update” in the Settings menu to install the latest tweaks.
- Close unnecessary background apps to save resources.
- If you can afford to close resource-heavy tasks like Google Chrome or Adobe apps, do so to avoid any issues.
- Lower the graphics options or output resolution.
- Sometimes a game can stumble upon a particular setting or resolution. Lower the settings and resolution before increasing them one at a time to identify what’s causing the issue.
With Valheim being in Steam Early Access, the game is expected to receive many updates that should hopefully contain further optimizations and improve stability. If the game isn’t running well now, it could be running better in the near future.
When the crashes and freezing issues are fixed, it’s time to look forward to all of the content coming to Valheim in 2021. The developer released a roadmap detailing its plans.
PC players might be happily enjoying the game, but what about console users? Here’s the need-to-know about a potential PS5 and PS4 version.
If Valheim is stuttering or lagging, be sure to give this GameRevolution guide a read for fixes.