- Related Games:
Up until now, Valheim‘s third-person perspective has made the game somewhat of an outlier within the survival genre. The introduction of an unofficial first-person mode, however, means that the gap is closing. Popular survival games like Rust, The Forest, and ARK all opt for a first-person view in order to better immerse players; thanks to the new Valheim first-person mod, the same now applies to Iron Gate’s runaway smash hit.
How to install the Valheim first-person mod
While Valheim remains a third-person game as standard, players now have the option to immerse themselves in the Norse setting by fully embodying their characters. The Valheim first-person mod is safe to use and completely free, all thanks to the work of a modder named Kailen_.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to installing the Valheim first-person mode modification on PC:
- Download the Valheim BepInExPack mod.
- Extract the download into a new folder — not the game folder.
- Transfer the contents of the “BepInExPack_Valheim” folder into <Steam Location>\steamapps\common\Valheim.
- Launch Valheim via the Steam client, then close it.
- Download the Valheim first-person view mod.
- Add the “ to the <Steam Location>\steamapps\common\Valheim\BepInEx\plugins\ folder.
- Boot up Valheim via Steam again, then use the mouse scroll wheel to enter first-person view mode.
The mod is still a work in progress, by the creator’s own admission. It’s an unofficial add-on to an unfinished game without official mod support, so user mileage may (and likely will) vary.
Despite that, plenty of Valheim fans are already enjoying getting a new perspective on their Viking adventures. Some are even combining it with the Valheim Plus mod, which makes numerous general gameplay and quality of life improvements to the survival title.